Adventures?

The adventure is simple, two sisters will travel 2,448 miles from Chicago to Los Angeles on what remains of Route 66 writing about their misadventures along the way. The Journey begins mid August, so stay tuned!

Monday, August 20, 2012

Caves, Arches and Custard

Today we spent the day in St. Louis. We started it off in the City Museum. The City Museum is pretty much the coolest place ever. It is a massive playground for ALL ages. The outside of the building is a complex of various sculptures made of wood, metal, piping, and even two airplanes. The structures tower about three stories into the air and are connected by lots of tunnels and walkways shaped into dragons and other creatures. And you can climb on all of it.

The inside gets even better. At first I was unsure of what to do but I just walked up to a giant hole in one of the trees on the first floor and discovered a whole tunnel that I had to crawl and slide through and ended up in some caves. The caves have lots of caverns and small tunnels you can crawl up. Some of them I could barely fit through on my stomach. the ones I picked led me inside of a giant whale and eventually to another giant tree and more tunnels. Just the fact that you can crawl all over these things and the fact that they have seemingly an infinite variety of tunnels leading in all directions makes this place my favorite place ever.

After we finished exploring the City Museum, we headed over to the arch. This is the second time I have visited the Gateway Arch. This time I was armed with my own camera and it was a very interesting thing to photograph. We took the Tram up to the top and looked out at the wide Mississippi and the beautiful cityscape.

Next we went to Ted Drewes and got some delicious Route 66 custard. Before we returned to our lodgings we drove though Forest Park and took in the beautiful lawns and fountain in front of the Art Museum.

St. Louis is an interesting city and full of great places but  my all time favorite must be The City Museum. That place was amazing! We'll see you later.

SMK

No comments:

Post a Comment