Adventures?

The adventure is simple, two sisters will travel 2,448 miles from Chicago to Los Angeles on what remains of Route 66 writing about their misadventures along the way. The Journey begins mid August, so stay tuned!

Friday, August 24, 2012

Rain, Rain Go Away

... until we leave, and then give these people some water.. stat!

On my way East, I was fleeing from heavy storms, at some points I was flying down Route 66 trying to find a decent motel to escape the treat of severe storms, black skies, the possibility of quarter sized hail and a call to arms for spotters all over varying regions.  Now, as we travel westward, we are meeting the rain head on. 

On Wednesday, we made it to Elk City, OK, which was our end of day point.  We made it through Kansas and most of Oklahoma, stopping along the way to see various sights.  But the end of our day met with heavy wind and a 20% chance of rain.  Normally, a 20% chance of storms doesn't bother me, but I had met with that forecast before, and it was not pretty. 

Sam and I sat in the KOA parking lot weighing our options, and it was decided that instead of tent camping, we'd try out one of their Kabins.  It gave us a nice break, though we were disappointed that we couldn't stay in the tent again. I think it was for the best, as Sam seems to not enjoy the plethora of crickets and grasshoppers we've been meeting on our journey.  I DID try to point out that many of them landed on the grill of my car, but it didn't help quell any worries over the ones that did not meet Gilbert the destructor.


Marco, my scorpian friend who lives on my dash.
 Thursday, it was decided, that we would kind of rush through Texas.  Sam wasn't feeling too well, and 66 basically runs right next to the freeway, so there isn't an alternate view... just the same view, but slower.  This had been part of my return plan anyway, so it wasn't a wild deviation from what we'd decided to do.  It also gives us time to take a couple days in New Mexico.

Sam covered our Thursday adventure.  Cadillac Ranch, the Groom cross, Midpoint Cafe, National Route 66 Museum....  Though, in reflection, we didn't see a whole lot (not that there's a lot to see), the day was exhausting.  High winds over the Texas Panhandle forced me to fight with my car constantly... rolls of dust swept across fields and through towns, and every time we got out of the car to see anything interesting, we left with dust in our mouths, and in varying crannies. 

Needless to say, we welcomed the motel in Tucumcari, if only to shower without the threat of cricket invasion.  I've now stayed at the Route 66 Motel in Tucumcari twice, and I highly recommend it.  The price is just right, it's a clean room, kept in a retro theme and the owners are really nice. 

Heavy storms prevented me from showing Sam the gorgeous neon still preserved in the town, and by nightfall, I could barely keep my eyes open.  I woke up this morning disappointed in my need of sleep, but what can you do?

Today it's on to Santa Fe, and perhaps a quick hike to see some pueblo ruins.  Keep your fingers crossed that there won't be too much rain during our travels, as we're heading into flash flood country, and it could prevent us from actually following some of the most gorgeous pieces of Route 66 still intact. 


Cadillac Ranch
We haven't been taking music notes (sorry, everyone!!!! concentrating on driving safety) But we listened to the following:

Erin's mix
JD's mix - Sam loved the Dr. Who theme..
Gabe's mix
Beth's Texas portion of her compendium
Beth's girls mix

We enjoyed all of them.  Gabe, it was a good cd to listen to after a very big steak lunch.  Erin, you took me back and made me laugh. Beth... you are awesome.

Thanks everyone for all the music... so far it's all been great.  We're having a lot of fun listening to all the differences in mixes... surprisingly, there are a whole lot of repeats. 

Til Next time... keep fingers crossed that I can post pics next time.  Wireless here is weak, and won't let me upload.  Might have to put pictures in all of these post trip.

-B-

No comments:

Post a Comment